Friday 17 April 2015

Coffee Date Interview 8 - Jill Carter







Name: Jill Carter

Job Title: Multi Media Artist


 1. What was the worst job you've ever had and what did it teach you?
Hmm, my worst job was working at a certain educational institution. After a gruelling panel interview when I was desperate to conceal the truth about my typing skills, I discovered that within one week I found, what I thought would be a peach of a job, was not! The principal was a very small man who decided he liked to keep things to himself. There was a rule that his typists, (in a ‘pool’ as they used to call it) were locked behind a glass door. I am sure there would have been a fire exit. But, looking back, I felt like a budgie in a cage and to be honest I didn’t rate the view from the window, which is always high on my work wish list. Our heads of department would have to come and tap on the internal door and we were then allowed to go out and speak with them. It became quite a moment when the door was the opened. When allowed out for tea I discovered that the principal’s secretary had already planned her escape route and said I should apply for her job. It was twice my salary, but I humbly declined, even though I would have had my own modern room with a view and with a very smart desk. She said, well, my sister-in-law works at a bank in town, there is a job going there. I replied that I was rubbish at numbers and my fingers wouldn't know where to find them on the typewriter keyboard. But I decided to dash off at the last minute to the very old establishment in the town, and found myself in front of a very large man and his bird like long serving personal assistant. The interview was surprisingly informal, and I remember being rather disorientated to imagine myself sitting over a large vault of money, wrapped in the smell of leather upholstery and highly polished mahagony desks, but no view, only bars on the windows. I tried to concentrate and listen to my instinct this time. Asking myself, is this the job for me, when the sight of the silver haired assistant’s peachy satin long bloomers swung into view, as she swung round on her chair legs splayed, efficiently taking shorthand notes of the momentous replies I was offering. Why not? I thought, lets give it a go, would I be found out that I really didnt know how to type numbers. In a flash I decided to let go of fear and expectations. The job at the bank turned out to be one of happiest times of my life, made great friends, never got my hands on the money in the vault, but one day did leave at dead of night with that bank manager’s mahogany desk in a white van. But that is another story.

2. How do you relax and wind down after a hard day at work?
Years ago I totally reinvented myself, found myself re-training in complementary health and for many years had a happy and fulfilled practice and enjoyed self-employment status. Then out of nowhere, I suddenly discovered myself mid-life on a degree course in Fine Art, awarded first class honours and then a Masters in Fine Art. Fifteen years later, with no pension on the horizon, being a self-employed freelance artist, juggling projects, proposals, funding bids, earning less than the minimum wage (they would say on Dragon’s Den, well you couldn't call it a business) relaxing at end of day becomes an art form in itself. I love our home, and enjoy the ritual of lighting the log fire, cooking a nice supper, and wrapping myself under a huge blanket with a glass of wine and a period or crime drama or two on the telly.



3. What drives you crazy at work?
At work I find what drives me crazy is the constant hunting for work, that in the arts often the artist is expected to self-fund aspects of the projects, the irregularity of income, the peaks and troughs of income, all positive challenges but tricky on the nervous system. However, it is an amazing profession in which one can learn so much of oneself. I wish now I had a personal assistant with peachy bloomers, as I am rubbish at all the admin, writing funding bids, and as a multi-media artist working with lots of different materials means keeping track of my museum of possibilities, which includes an archive of ever changing curiosities which the tax man might find doubtful to claim, such as three unicorns, one budgie, a flickering lightbulb and a small lead nurse.

4. When you were little what did you want to be?
When I was little I can’t remember dreaming of what I would be when I grew up. But I do reflect on what I used to play. I loved creating miniature gardens on a plate, doodling, drawing cartoons, keeping a diary with lots of mad scribbles in it. Later, I was awarded at school a fountain pen for writing. Our garage was often made into a hospital where two little lads from down the road were forced to be patients and fed plants from the hedgerows. I remember often standing on tip toes and gazing through the local hall window wishing I could join the ballet class. Later, at secondary school my teacher thought I should go to drama school, but my mum couldn't afford the train fare or the cost of my portrait photograph. So I never made that journey, but have made loads of other interesting journeys since then.

5. What the best advice ever given to you?
The best advice recently given to me, was by a dear friend, who reminded me I had stitched these words into a story scroll. “Be your truth”…

6. What are your 3 always?
Three things I find helpful are to be open to change and transformation. Keep a journal. Value friends and family.

7. What song will guarantee to make you feel better?
I find music to be a great inspiration. I love the work of Jocelyn Pook, Untold Things, but I have a really strong memory of dancing round our lounge to Hey Jude by the Beatles, whilst my mum was asleep upstairs, going round in ever decreasing circles with a lad whose name I cant remember, but he had blonde hair and was later to stand me up at the bus stop.  

8. What's your top tip for staying on top of things and getting stuff done?
When self-employed, you have to be naturally self-motivated.  In practice I find I am inspired by stories, exploring identity, of self and others, in response to a sense of place.  I enjoy collaborating with orgnaisations, individuals and groups of people, but I need to balance this with a feeling of autonomy, a process which allows for the freedom of spirit, to be playful and poetically creative.


9. Star Wars or Star Trek?
If I had to chose between Star Wars and Star Trek? As someone who has unearthed a late in life skill of finding oneself dressing up in strange environs, I would say Star Wars, as I much prefer the outfits and locations.

10. Beer or Wine?
Years ago my husband took my on a wine trip to France to the champagne region, we tasted 93 champagnes in 3 days. That experience taught me, best keep to a nice glass of wine.

11. Marmite, yes or no?
There is always that question, Marmite, yes or no? But does anyone ever ask do you like Veggimite, that would get my vote.

12. Tea or Coffee?
If one is to consider tea or coffee, this would bring up the notion of addiction, the everyday rituals of life, conversations shared, worries calmed etc, ideas stirred, and for me, tea would always be top of the agenda.
www.jillcarterart.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...