Friday 8 May 2015

Coffee Date Interview 11 - Jan Sangster







Name: Jan Sangster

Job Title: HR Projects Co-ordinator Swindon College


What drives you crazy at work?
Actually not a lot really. I do like a cup of tea whilst going through my e-mails first thing in the morning, so can get a bit “twitchy” if I am tea-free for a while. I do really enjoy my job and work with a great team in a great place so the little things that annoy are more than made up for by that.


What’s the first thing you do on arriving at work?
Turn on my computer, check my e-mails and have a look and see what is planned for the day. Then realise that the plans will probably go awry as a number of urgent things have sneaked their way onto my to do list.


When the going gets tough......?
I have a great support network in family and friends and it’s good to talk. Nothing like a good old natter over cuppa with someone who understands. Failing that I enjoy going on a good long walk. We are really fortunate that we have so many lovely places in Wiltshire where you can walk the cobwebs away and take some time out.



How do you relax / wind down after a hard day at work?
Chill out with my husband and cats, watch some television, read and do some work for the organisations I volunteer with.

When you were little, what did you want to be?
Funnily enough I wanted to be a dental hygienist. Not sure why but it's very far away from what I am doing now.

What eats up most of your time at work?
I am very fortunate in that there is a lot of variety in my work at the moment so I have a good balance between the people facing and “paperwork” tasks. I actually enjoy both.

What’s the best advice given to you?
Two pieces of advice. The first is “if you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had” and “people forget what you said and they will forget what you did, but they won’t forget how you made them feel” . The last quote is from the great Maya Angelou and very true.

What are the 3 “always” in your life?
1.Always take time for yourself.

2. Always remember that you don’t know what difficulties other people are facing, even if they seem fine to you.

3. Always remember too that this is not a rehearsal for the next life, so make the most of every opportunity.

Night in or Night out?
Night in with a nice meal, good company and a great movie.

Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsey?
Oh dear, confession time. I don’t really like cooking (my husband is a great cook though thankfully) but if I had to choose it would be Jamie Oliver.

Del Boy or Rodney?
Rodney I think. He was quite sensitive and honest and always tried his best.

Countryside or Seaside?
I love the seaside when it’s quiet and you just stick your hands in your coat pockets and go for a walk in the seaside air. My parents live near the Dorset coastline and it’s stunning, a great place to recharge.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...